Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cupcake cakes

Ever see those cupcake cakes in the grocery store and think, " I gotta learn to make those!" well my friends you have come to the right place. They are great for parties because you don't really need a plate for each kid and you know exactly how many people you will serve with it.



What you'll need:
cupcakes pre made
icing (either butter cream or from a jar)  Find the recipe here: Wilton Buttercream
Smoothing spatula
icing gels from Wilton.

The Cupcake cake (the pull-apart cake)

Start with making your favorite batch of cupcakes.  After they have cooled, you'll need to line them up on either a piece of card board or if you're fancy a cardboard you bought for cakes from Wilton.


First thing I want to point out to you is all the gaps. If you leave it like that even the stiffest buttercream is going to fall through. So alas all the OCDers out there (me included) must deal with it not...being...straight!


See? less gaps. Plus I hear cupcakes love to cuddle.

 Make your buttcream (or icing in a can) and place a big glob in the middle.


 Using your spatula (not the kind you cook with, the cake decorating one) smooth it out, adding more as you go until it's covered.

Now I usually draw on the cakes and this one happens to need to be a big rig truck. So I have my picture of the truck


and using a toothpick I'm going to sketch out the drawing of the truck



 When I'm done drawing, I take my icing bags and with the small circle tips begin outlining in the colors I want.
I added a Teddy graham driver for giggles.

I then smooth the icing with my spatula and continue on the next color until I'm done.

I used large pretzel rods for the logs.

Here are my other cupcake cakes:

Kermit the Frog






Bugs Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment