Sunday, October 7, 2012

American Girl Doll Halloween

Alright, Halloween is my all time favorite Holiday- no joke. The girls and I will be heading to the American Girl store soon and we decided our dolls needed to be festive when they visit.

I had already made a generic witch costume, which is actually going to be given to my niece for her bitty baby. Then I wasn't feeling well and in order for me not to go to sleep too early (I'm talking 5pm) I decided to finally try making the semi-no sew tutu. Instantly we fell in love with the first one for my youngest and then my oldest needed one too. She loves spiders and so we used the spider lace/tulle stuff for hers instead of the stars.





  Please note: The "no Sew" tutu is easy to make for anyone. However the tops I make can be trick for new comers to sewing because I sketch my own patterns and have not figure out how to post the real size for all of you to use them.

  For BOTH tops I used Kirsten's party dress top, which you can print for FREE  here (agplaythings.com). I started to make the top the afternoon after I finished the spider tutu, but then I messed up making them too small and had to re-make the pattern longer and a little wider.I added about one inch to the bottom and a 1/8 of an inch all the way around (which also will help for hemming because I notice these patterns run a little tight)
 You will cut the top pattern once on a FOLD for the front and then two separate pieces for the back. Then you will sew the sleeves together, hem the neck line. Next I made the corset: I  used the same type of template, curving the sketch where I wanted it.

Again, I cut one on a FOLD (then cut in half- this makes it so that they are the same on both sides. and then I cut the "back" piece twice. I took some ribbon and pretended to lace the corset up, pinning the ribbon in place so that I could sew it to the corset when I was ready to hem. Once it is ready, pin the corset on top of the shirt and sew back and front of the shirt together.

FOR SPIDER WITCH
Cut spider fabric (using Kirsten's sleeve pattern- normal size) Sew bottom pieces together, then sew to top.  Add a bow to the top of the corset, sew in place.

FOR GIRLY WITCH

BEFORE you sew the back of the shirt to the front of the shirt, hem the outside of the sleeves up, then sew the front to the back. Add ribbon to the top of the sleeves, tie closed. Hide a few stitches in the bow to help it prevent itself from untying. Add a bow to the top of the corset, sew in place.


My other American Girl items:
school supplies
feel better kit  (Just like McKenna's!)
Gymnastics accessories
head band
Minnie Mouse ears
sleeping bags
sleeping mask
pillow dress
accessories
pet accessories

**If you found this funny, useful or both, please follow me. I get a little lonely! Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment