Friday, April 20, 2012

How to get rid of smell in lunchbox






So ever since Kindergarten Hannah has had a problem with half way through the year her lunch box would smell rancid. I tried washing it, bleach, making sure it was really dry, nothing was helping. So we threw it away and gave her another we had  on hand. The same thing happened this year in first grade! I tried bleach again, 409, nothing. I was gonig to buy them a new lunch box each for next year ( I hear the BYO are washable...) Finally I decided to wash it with baking soda- I know it works I've done it with Hannah's already. Now Hailey's smells.


Having a bit of OCD I'm not really proud when I tell you my daughters are messy eaters. They also in their defense only get 10 minutes to eat lunch.




Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda into the lunchbox, add enough water to make a paste and rub it around the insides of the lunchbox. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes. 


Rinse in warm soapy water. Be sure to get it all out because if you don't it will dry with baking soda stains all over it like Hannah's did:



Be sure to let it dry thoroughly before the next use. If you see baking soda stains, hopefully you have enough time to wash it out and dry it again.



Ta da! No smell!







No comments:

Post a Comment