Use the basic sweet-dough recipe given here, which makes 3 dozen rolls. Or use your own favorite recipe.
Basic Sweet Dough
1&1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons salt
1 stick of margarine
1&1/2 cups warm water (100-115 degrees)
3 packages of yeast
9&1/2 to 10 cups of flour
1.Measure water and pour into a bowl. Stir in yeast. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to activate the yeast.
2.Add margarine to milk. heat milk and margarine in microwave for about 2 minutes.
3.Add sugar and salt to margerine-milk mixture. Add cold beaten eggs. The cold eggs help to cool the milk-margerine mixture.
4.Add yeast. Turn on mixer for a few seconds
5.Add half the flour and mix for 2 minutes.
6. Add remaining flour and mix for about 5 minutes. Dough will be very sticky.
7. Leave dough in bowl, cover with a paper towel and place in a warm draft-free place. The oven is perfect. Turn the oven on to warm for about 2 minutes, turn it off, and place the bowl of dough inside. After one hour, remove the bowl from the oven. Dough will have doubled or nearly doubled in bulk.
1. While the dough is rising, combine 2 cups of light brown sugar, 1 stick of margerine, and 1/2 cup of light corn syrup. Place on burner and boil for 1 minute.
2. Pour hot caramel mixture into three 9 by 13-inch pans, approximately 1/3 into each pan. Allow to cool and sprinkle with nuts (Pecans, or walnuts, or whatever).
Forming the rolls
1.After the dough has doubled in bulk, punch down, and divide into 3 parts.
2. Either flour your table top or grease it with shortening.
3. Roll out one of the three portions of dough into a 10 by 12-inch rectangle (approximately).
4. Coat the top surface of the rectagle dough with margerine or shortening. Sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar over the surface. Sprinkle cinnamon over the sugar.
5. Roll up the dough like a jelly roll.
6. Cut the roll into 12 pieces. Start by cutting the roll in half, then cut each half into halves. Finally, cut each of the 4 pieces into thirds.
7. Place the pieces on the caramel mixture, with the outside ends of each piece touching a neighboring piece. This keeps the individual pieces from unrolling as they begin to rise.
8. Allow the rolls to rise for about an hour or more. Again, the oven is a good place. Usually the dough swells until the entire surface of the pan is covered.
9.Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350.
10. Remove from oven and cool for 1 minute.
11. Place a sheet of aluminum foil (slightly larger than the pan) over a piece of cardboard or section of newspaper. Invert the pan of hot rolls over the foil and the rolls will be released from the pan. Remove any remaining caramel topping and nuts from the pan and spread onto the rolls.
12. Enjoy the rolls.
Cream Cheese Frosting.
Since my daughters can not have sticky things, I made my Grandpa Minick Sticky Buns with a Cream cheese frosting.
1 package or cream cheese
1/4 cup of butter
1 & 1/2 cup powder sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla.
Mix together in mixer. When it's fully blended, wait 5 minutes before icing.