Basic Sweet Dough
1&1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons salt
1 stick of margarine
1&1/2 cups warm water (100-115 degrees)
3 packages of yeast
9&1/2 to 10 cups of flour
1.Measure water and pour into a bowl. Stir in yeast. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to activate the yeast.
2.Add margarine to milk. heat milk and margarine in microwave for about 2 minutes.
3.Add sugar and salt to margerine-milk mixture. Add cold beaten eggs. The cold eggs help to cool the milk-margerine mixture.
4.Add yeast. Turn on mixer for a few seconds
5.Add half the flour and mix for 2 minutes.
6. Add remaining flour and mix for about 5 minutes. Dough will be very sticky.
7. Leave dough in bowl, cover with a paper towel and place in a warm draft-free place. The oven is perfect. Turn the oven on to warm for about 2 minutes, turn it off, and place the bowl of dough inside. After one hour, remove the bowl from the oven. Dough will have doubled or nearly doubled in bulk.
Kolač-- A Nut-filled Roll That Looks Like A Jelly Roll
1. Use the same sweet-dough recipe as for the caramel-topped rolls.
2. After dough has doubled in bulk, punch down and divide into 4 parts. Then divide each of the 4 parts into 2 parts, thus yielding 8 parts.
3. Roll out each part (one at a time) the the size of a cookie sheet (10 x 15). The rolled-out dough will be very thin.
4. Coat the rolled-out dough generously with margerine and then with the nut paste described below.
5. Roll up dough like a jelly roll and place it with seam down on the 10 x 15 cookie sheet. The cookie sheet can hold two rolls.
6. Place in oven immediately and bake at 350 to 375 for 25 minutes.
2bs ground nuts (pecans or walnuts) Grandpa Minick always said if he was feeling rich he used walnuts.
1&3/4 cups sugar
1&1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir the mixture to make an easy spreading paste. More milk may be necessary.
Divide the paste into 8 equal parts, one part for each of therolled-out portion of dough